Brake light message

I have been experiencing a problem with my left break light on my E36 M3(all
other tail and brake lights are fine). The OBC would say that "1 brake light
fail" message and in most cases the light would not be out. Eventually the
bulb did go out and i replaced it. Even after replacing the bulb, the
message did not go away until after a couple of days. I have been having
this problem on and off for sometime now. Recently it came up again and I
replaced the bulb with a new one and it still does not work and I still get
the message "1 brake light fail". This is very annoying. I would like to
take it in to the dealership but I would like to get some insight first on
what could be causing this problem and possibly save some $$$ for something
that seems so simple. I don't suspect it to be the brake circuit because all
the other brake lights work fine when i hit the brakes. I would check for
continuity on that particular brake  light but i don't know the exact
schematic for this. I am no BMW mechanic but I thought a brake light was
just as simple as changing a blown bulb when they go bad, but I guess it's a
whole lot more to that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Driving while brake light inoperable (let's see how long i can go without
getting pulled over by the boys in blue)

Paul
BMWCCA 186412