Re: Inspection II

No, this is not true on the 2.8, I made a mistake on the oil filter housing top
though, it was a 36mm socket required NOT a 28mm.
A crescent wrench will only round the edges and create leaks as the material is
very flimsy and easily torn.

> On my E34 525iT and E36 M3, the oil filter is in a canister, and the lid
> requires a small socket (13 or 15 mm).  I thought that the 2.8l engine was
> the same?  No?

- ------------You are correct, I used the wrong words to describe.  But basically
put the O-ring back in the groove, not use it as a gasket between the metal and
plastic as I first did.

> >2) The O-Ring on the filter goes in the groove on the filter insert---be
> >sure and note where the old one was and replace exactly there.
>
> On my cars, the o-ring goes into the groove in the filter canister lid.
> Once again, I find it interesting that BMW would change the design of the
> oil filter canister.
>
> >3) Mobile One does not carry a 40 weight synthetic/at least I couldn't find
> >any.
>
> Actually, they do (10W40).  It's a motorcycle oil.
>
> http://www.mobil1.com/mobil1_racing/about/products/cycle/oil_sport.html
>
> I'm not sure whether there are differences which would make it unsuitable
> for automobile use.

- ----------------I would think a 4 cycle oil would not be the same but does
anyone else know?

> BMW sells a full synthetic oil.  It's a 5W30, and it's recommended for all
> current and past BMW models.  I use it in my 525iT.  It's made by Castrol,
> and it costs about $1/qt less than Mobil 1 (with BMWCCA discount, it's even

- ------------------As pointed at on the list previously Castrol has been taken to
court and with their own documents admitted their "synthetic" oil is partially
organic and their cost is less this way.  Mobile One tried to sue them over
false advertising but didn't win.  Based on the court documents I would not use
Castrol and based on their own words their oil is not a true synthetic like
Mobile One.  I only wanted to use the 40 weight as a fellow list poster
mentioned BMW had changed to this spec.  I am now running about 50/50 5w30 and
15w50.

> I purchased a Facom 14mm hex driver socket from Steve D'Gerolamo at the
> Ultimate Garage:
>
> http://www.ultimategarage.com/factorx.html
>
> Look for part number D 107-14

- ------------------I good source for tools when the Snap On man is not around and
from talking with them much more familiar with the requirements of the BMW.

> I use a gear oil 'lube pump' that I purchased from Pep Boys.  It's like the
> pump that you find in a bottle of liquid hand soap, only much larger.  It's
> designed to screw onto the top of a gear oil bottle, but it won't fit onto a
> Redline bottle.  It has a clear hose that is inserted into the fill opening
> of the transmission or differential.
>
> Since trans lube and diff lube are two different fluids, I have two of these
> pumps.
>
> ------------------- Again, a very good idea on two different hoses and pumps
> for different fluids.

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of RichardCoker.vcf]

End of bmw-digest V9 #1623