re:E30 water in trunk

Justin-

I had the same problem and tried all of the "usual" solutions - replacing
the antenna grommet and rear taillight gasket - with little or no
improvement.  The source of the leakage turned out to be a hole rusted
through the metal underneath the trunk rubber weatherstripping.  There is a
weld just at the left forward corner of the trunk that is susceptable to
rust.  Just pull up the weather stripping and take a look.  I fixed mine by
sanding it off the rust and glueing on a small piece of sheetmetal with JB
Weld (great stuff!).

Steve Ballard
Mobile AL

1991 318is
1988 K75C
1972 R50/5

>>I am getting water in the trunk of my e30, but only down on the side
where the
jack and tire block go.  I'm getting a good couple inches down in there.
The
rest of the trunk isn't wet at all, so I know it's not the tail light
caskets
that need replaced.  I've sucked it out a few times with a shop vac, but it

comes right back.  No idea what's causing the problem.  If anyone has
experienced this or has any suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate
it!
 Thanks!<<<