Overfilling motor oil?

My dealer has apparently overfilled the motor oil twice.  (98 3-series.) In both cases I had
checked the oil the morning after, and the level was above the dot, which is above the upper
notch.  The first time, I drove back, they said they redid the oil change, and when I checked,
the level was right at the upper notch--right where it should be (I think...).

Now they overfilled again: it's above the dot, which is at least 1/4 liter above the upper notch.

The upper notch is the fill-to point, right?  Why would a dealer consistently make this mistake?

Mike