RE: <E28> AC refit w/R134

Mike Oatsvall [mailto:RMichael.Oatsvall@domain.elided] wrote:

> Has anybody done a refit of their AC system to use R134? If
> so, what's involved?

Mike,
I went through the same upgrade on two E30s.
My experience may not be directly applicable to your E28, but both upgrades
cost roughly $100 in parts (drier, fill valves, pressure switches, R134a
compressor oil, I think that was it). At that time (2-3 years ago) an
identical BMW kit was retailing for $250. The labor charge would have been
in the 2-3 hour range. In my case, the upgrades were undertaken in
conjunction with other AC work so the extra upgrade labor charge was only
for compressor oil drain and refill.
In both cars the compressor and AC lines or seals did have to be replaced.
Both E30s cooled BETTER with R134a then they did before the upgrade. The
experience is admittedly subjective and based on a comparison to previously
failing R12 systems, but I would still recommend upgrading to anyone who is
looking at any AC repairs.
See http://www.koalamotorsport.com/ac.htm for more info.

good luck,
alex f