RE: Overfilling motor oil?

>>My dealer has apparently overfilled the motor oil twice.  (98 3-series.)
In both cases I had
>>checked the oil the morning after, and the level was above the dot, which
is above the upper
>>notch.  The first time, I drove back, they said they redid the oil change,
and when I checked,
>>the level was right at the upper notch--right where it should be (I
think...).

>>Now they overfilled again: it's above the dot, which is at least 1/4 liter
above the upper notch.

Are you actually stressing over this?  1/4 litre is nothing.  Most people
who autox or track E36 325/328/M3 overfill it by a quart on purpose to help
ensure that the oil pickup doesn't suck air on hard cornering.

>>The upper notch is the fill-to point, right?  Why would a dealer
consistently make this mistake?

It probably actually takes a fraction less than a specified number of
quarts, so they dump them all in and not worry about it.