E-30 engine oil light

Hello folks,
Anybody know what would cause the engine oil light to come on on the
"diagnostic cluster" above the rear view mirror.(I'm not sure what the
official term is but. . .)
It came on tonight and doesn't want to go off.  The dipstick says I'm in good
shape after the car was off for about ten minutes.  When I turn the key
before the car starts, I have two green lights on on the engine service
reminder.
Is this a warning light telling me it's time to change the oil, or is it
something serious?
Thanks for the help,
Jake
89 325i