E28 Piecemeal

I found a 1985 535i 5 speed 180k miles in pretty rough shape but
salvageable.  I looked in the glove compartment and found that the entire
ECU had been disconnected.  Believe it or not it was totally bypassed but
the car ran fine.  I have seen some rigs on these cars but have never seen
this.  Any E28 gurus out there that can give me some ideas on what I would
be up against.  My skillbase is good with FI but I don't want to spend 100
hours troubleshooting a can of worms.

Scott Stewart
BMWCCA#10554
Melbourne, FL