Re: 98 E36 Radiator Fan Removal

James wrote:

<<Can anyone help with some tips on how to remove the radiator fan.  I know to
turn the nut clockwise, but can't get it loose as the pully and belt move with
it.  I know there's a special BMW tool available to prevent this, but is there
a quick way to do it without the tool???  Thanks.

    If manual trans, put it in 1st gear, set handbrake, and apply tension to
the fan belt with your hand while cracking fan nut loose.  If automatic (or
even manual), try putting a socket and breaker bar on the *crank* nut so that
it jams against a fixed object as you apply tension to the belt and loosen
the nut.

Good luck!
Gary T
Abq, NM