Re: [uuc] E46 Rattle and WTT/WTB/FS: wheels

Evan wrote the following to me re: the rattle:
> > Are any of the E46 ('99-present 3-series) owners having a problem
> with
> > the windows/doors rattling? Just curious if I am alone...
>
> There's a Service Bulletin  (51 01 00 May 2000) for this. It was in
> Tech
> Talk in the 8/00 Roundel. I can scan it and e-mail the article to you
> (or anyone else) if you like.

I wanted to give everyone a status update:

As it turns out, my car was one of the early models that fell within
the range referred to above. Interestingly enough, they replaced the
window regulators and window seals in an earlier service. Therefore,
this was not the problem with the loud squeak/rattle in my car.

The service manager at Irvine BMW (Irvine California) took the car for
a very short drive and came back into the service bay. He admitted that
it was
1) really loud
2) really annoying
3) in both doors, and
4) the door seals

He looked them over closely for silicone use -- but I don't use silicone
on seals. He indicated that many people put silicone on the seals and
then they start to squeak. Don't do this!

His conclusion... the door seals were bad (they didn't explain in detail).
So, they replaced the two front door seals and the squeak disappeared.
Much more "vault like" now.

BTW, my VIN is around 80382 and it was built in late Dec/98.

I also want to praise the General Manager, Service Manager and Service
Foreman at Irvine BMW. Between Irvine BMW and Shelly BMW (same ownership),
I am very pleased with my treatment so far. I would highly recommend
both dealerships.

Brian Foster
Irvine CA

To get your own FREE ZDNet Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax,
all in one place - sign up today at http://www.zdnetonebox.com