Re: Speedo error

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, John A. Virnig wrote:

> > I asked the dealer about the speedometer; it's not off by much. 70
> indicated
>  > is 70.4 actual, but I'd like to get it right if I can.
>
> BMW's are notorious (cars & bikes alike) for a 5-8% error in the speedo
> reading....

Perhaps North American BMW's are.  The instrument clusters in European
models tend to be more accurate, a 2% error being typical. They also have a
functional rear foglight indicator, if you happen to be weird and like to be
seen in the fog. If you can get your hands on one, a European cluster will
"code" for a U.S. car, though I am told the oil temperature gauge will show
fuel consumption instead.

- -John
'96 318is

- --