RE: My new 89 325

> Well I am now a BMW owner.  Thank you to all the people who
> emailed opinions and experience about e30s.  And lots of
> thanks to the Poertners for an awesome weekend (and a test
> drive of Ian's M roadster).I am now can now deliver pizza in style.
> And now for the questions. . .
> I.  Could someone with an 89 325 tell me what his or her
> steering wheel looks like?  The owners manual indicates that
> I have an airbag but the steering wheel doesn't seem to
> agree.  It is a 3 spoked wheel with the two horizontal spokes
> shaped sorta like propeller blades (I wonder where that comes
> from? . . .kidding of course).  There is a horn button that
> can be popped out of the middle of the wheel.  I think this
> vehicle was in an accident at some point because of broken
> fan blades and a chewed up radiator (which has already been replaced.)

You have a non-airbag steering wheel.  The airbag didn't really make an
appearance until 1990-91.  If you have an airbag steering wheel, it is a
4-spoke affair that looks almost exactly like the 4-spoke E34 & (early) E36
steering wheel.

> II.  What are the thoughts on changing the R12 to R134 since
> the a/c needs fixing anyway?  I noticed Bavarian auto has a
> reciever/drier conversion kit. . .?  I need a/c right now, so
> I will probably just have an a/c shop do it, but should I
> just stick with R-12 for now?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

> III.  Was there ever a 4 door 325is?  Because I seem to have
> one that is badged an 'is'.  What was the difference between i and is?
> thats all for now,

No.  The 325is was 2-door only.  The 325i was 2 & 4 door.  The 'is' also was
fully loaded (leather sports seats, premium sound system, power windows,
power sunroof, power door locks, OBC, rear decklid spoiler and optional
front airdam extension, sports suspension, and that nifty '325is' badge).
However, it is quite easy to purchase the badge...

If it is a 4-door car, it isn't a 325is.  Sorry.

- -Derek
 '90 325is