Re: Drivetrain Efficiency

I've spend much time on the dyno, while getting my supercharger to work
properly. I've also been thinking about that transmission loss. In my case
we used 0.8 (e.g. 20% transmission loss). But the guy running the dyno told
me that it was only a approximation, if you where to measure it, you'll find
that it's not a constant meaning that the loss will increase with the wheel
speed. So, that will also mean that the loss are not the same in every gear.
If I remember correct, I think he told me that the loss was about 40% in
5'th at max. speed.
Another thing, is that most of the loss is from the friction of the tires
against the roller of the dyno.

Thomas Petersen
'92 318is Coupe - Supercharged to 205 HP.