Re: 88 535is Computer Readout Gone

Chacocanyon (Pete) wrote:

<<Hi:
The computer readout suddenly quit working the other day.  The computer still
works, I can faintly read all the displays, but the read out appears to no
longer be energized.
Do you think this is repairable, or is the unit gone?
Thanks for any wisdom

Pete Confar>>

Easily fixed-- you need an OBC light bar (not to be confused with a sushi
bar!).  Last time I needed one, Rodd Sidney sold them for ~$18, dealers have
them for "somewhat more".  There's a Digest weblink to Radio Shark bulbs you
can solder into your existing bar, but I haven't tried that.

To R&R the light bar you'll need a flat and a phillips s-driver and
needle-nose pliers.  Remove the 2 screws from the tab in the top underside of
the instrument panel hood, then gently pry down on the tab while tilting the
panel toward you.  (You may need to telescope the steering wheel outwards to
gain more clearance.)  Turn the panel enough to remove the OBC's screws, then
use the pliers to slide out/slide in the light bar.  Assembly is the reverse
blah blah blah....  Vi-ola, it's done!!  If what's left of my memory serves,
you shouldn't even have to undo any connectors.

You may want to replace the keypad bulb while you're in there, just on
general principles...

Happy re-bulbing,
Gary Toyama
Also 88 535is
Past: 88 325is, 87 535i, 81 528i 3.3, 76 2002