Top end ticking - '86 528i SE E28

Hi chaps,

New to this list - still getting used to this funny digest type
format....

Problem: Ticking noise from top end of motor.

Cause: Reckon it's camshaft / tappets / followers, but not sure how all
this works - never taken the cover off this engine

Solution: Replace camshaft / adjust tappets / followers

Questions: 1)Are my cause / solution bits on the right track?

                2)How do you adjust the tappets etc.?

                3)Is replacing the camshaft a head - off job? Or is it a
special tool job, in which case what tool?

                4)Is there a fast road cam I can put in in place of
stock without messing up the FI, and what is it / is it expensive?

Many thanks,

Ben

Alpine white '86 528i SE
'98 Suzuki TL1000S - for real speed!