problem car or problem mechanic?

i just had major engine work done on my '86 535i (140k miles), when i got it
back; however, several non-pre-existing problems arose immediately:  clutch
slave cylinder failed (mechanic claimed master clutch cylinder also needed
replacing due to slave failing and my "pushing too hard" to overcome failing
slave), drivetrain grumbled excessively (replaced), rough idle (bad fuel
injectors - not replaced), AND worn tire rods and steering assembly causing
heavy shimmy/steering vibration.  none of these problems existed before i
brought it in for the original problem.  is this sabotage, or do these cars
just fall apart?  my mechanic is the local "respected" independent bmw
mechanic, so i need to do some research before i pursue this.....

any feedback?

thx,
Gordon