BMW Newbie needs advice on M3

Hi All,
    I'm an automotive enthusiast from way back thats now got the urge to buy
an M3.  I've owned and done all my own performance upgrades/maintenance on
the 2 Ford Mustangs that I've owned, so I'm not a mechanical klutz.  See
http://www.amt.org/mel/ Mustangs section for background.

    Anyway, I think I'd like to buy myself a '95 to '98 M3 and I'd like to
poll the group on "gotchas" and other "beware of these" that I should know
about before going shopping.  Any other ideas for where to look for a good
candidate would be appreciated as well (like should I stick to dealers for
warranties or look at private party sales as well).

    I haven't decided if I want the coupe or the sedan yet (they're both
sexy, so I might opt for the convenience of 4 doors).  I'd like to stick to
basic colors like white, red, Estoril blue, or silver, but all I seem to
find is black.  A black car in Houston is usually a miserable thing, so I'd
like to avoid that.  I'm certain that I want a 5 speed trans, rather than an
auto just because I prefer sports cars with a manual gearbox.

    I just realized that I'm send this request out and I have never even
driven a BMW.  Does this sound crazy?  I just don't want to be hounded by a
dealer just to get a test drive.  If I'm going to meddle with a dealer, I'm
going with cash in one hand and research in the other.

Thanks for your help,

Mel