E36 M3 wheel alignment question

About 35,000 miles on my '95 M3 and I decided it was time to replace all four
tires.  I replaced the rear pair about 20,000 miles ago after one of them
took a huge puncture that could not be repaired.  Rather than pay my local
dealer about $2000 (?!) for 4 Michelin Sports, mounting, balancing and
alignment, I bought from the Tire Rack online and had them drop shipped to a
local Goodyear that Tire Rack recommended.  When it all penciled out, I saved
about $700 -- nothing to sneeze at where I come from.

The Goodyear tire folks seemed to know what they were doing.  The front tires
looked fine on the outer edge.  On the inside three or four inches of the
tread, the rubber was worn all the way to the cord -- in fact, you could rip
the sidewalls away from the tread with your bare hands.  Scary as hell, I
would say.  Query why nobody at the dealer had told me things looked bad when
the car was in for a scheduled service about 6,000 miles ago -- I can't
imagine the wear happened overnight.

The tire jockeys also told me they were able to properly adjust the toe-in
but could not get the proper camber on the front wheels.  They said this no
doubt explained why the front tires had worn so unevenly.

I haven't a clue what this is all about, but I don't think it is good.  Is
there a set of spacers that is supposed to be used to adjust the camber?
Could they have been looking at the wrong specs, say for a 325 or 328 instead
of an M3?  Is this something a dealer or experienced BMW shop ought to look
at?  I don't perceive any handling oddities, and other than the tire wear
issue I don't know what else this might affect, why it matters, or whether
the problem exists at all.

Some wisdom would be most appreciated.

DMJ
chambolle@domain.elided