Re: VANOS vs VTEC

Ted Crum wrote:
> In several road tests, I have noted that the VTEC engine gives results
> equivalent to VANOS, or other comparable system, but that the VTEC car
> gets 1-2 more miles per gallon.

Sorry, but can you explain more on how VTEC engine gives results equivalent
to VANOS?

I copied and paste this from Acura's website:

"In the RS, LS and GS models the 1.8-liter engine produces 140 hp and 127
lbs-ft of torque and it features 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead
camshafts.
The GS-R engine adds the Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control
(VTECT) system to the basic DOHC architecture. In this configuration, it
produces 170 hp and 128 lbs-ft of torque."

With identical engine, VTEC raises 30 HP on a 1.8L. If this was true with
VANOS, E36 325s would easily have an output close to 240 HP.

Michael Ting