car eating oil?

Hello, about 4,000 miles ago i bought my 87' 325is. The guy i bought it from
said he had just had an oil change and i wouldnt have to worry about it for
another 2,000 miles. Well about a 1,000 later the check engine light comes
on in my car and the  "Engine oil" light comes on also. So i looked at my
oil and it wasnt that dirty but simply there wasnt enough there. So i added
a quart and the light turned off. After another 1,000 miles while my car was
in my local shop i had them do a oil change. Now 2,000 miles later the light
comes on again.  The oil is ok but there just isnt enough. So my engine is
burning oil. What does this mean? What could be the reason for my car
burning off so much oil? Anything broken or old i should replace? Any help
would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jason
87'325is intake,exhaust,sharked, springs/struts,16''rims w/ 225/40/16
sp9000's, racing dynamics body kit, and still looking for ways to improve my
car.