RE: car eating oil?

The BOV! what? [mailto:flammingtwat@domain.elided] wrote:

> Hello, about 4,000 miles ago i bought my 87' 325is. The guy i
> bought it from said he had just had an oil change and i
> wouldnt have to worry about it for another 2,000 miles. Well
> about a 1,000 later the check engine light comes on in my car
> and the  "Engine oil" light comes on also. So i looked at my
> oil and it wasnt that dirty but simply there wasnt enough
> there. So i added a quart and the light turned off.

So your E30 is burning about 1 quart of oil per 1K miles. In and of itself,
this is within BMW's 1 quart/600 mile maximum spec for new cars.
Your oil consumption level is probably higher then average, but still within
spec.

> After another 1,000 miles while my car was in my local shop
> i had them do a oil change. Now 2,000 miles later the light
> comes on again.

So the consumption may in fact be more like 1 quart/2K miles, which is even
closer to totally normal.

> The oil is ok but there just isnt enough. So my engine is
> burning oil.

Not burning, just consuming within spec.

> What does this mean? What could be the reason for my car
> burning off so much oil? Anything broken or old i should
> replace? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Jason,
Your car is fine.
Relax.

alex f

> Jason
> 87'325is intake,exhaust,sharked, springs/struts,16''rims w/
> 225/40/16 sp9000's, racing dynamics body kit, and still
> looking for ways to improve my car.

quit messing with the car, start working with the driver!