Re: H/L Wiring Question

Thanks Brad,

My car is an e-36 318i. Your explanation helped me understand
the concepts better. I used to have an 86 325e (rip) whose headlights
used to work the same way if I remember as your e28. In the
newer model euros it might be a little different. Friday night was quite
a learning experience. I realized that I'd forgotten to adjust the new
headlights, yet I needed to drive 30 or so miles down the interstate.
So I did it the easiest way I knew, I drove down to a dark road and
adjusted the lights using an allen wrench. I'm pretty sure the bulbs
in the center are the highs and I believe I neglected to mention that
all four lamps across the board come on when on hi-beam.  In the
center lamps, whats puzzling is that instead of a double filament bulb,
there are two individual bulbs in each of the center lamps. There is a
bulb at the top and one at the bottom in each of the center lamps. The
puzzling thing is what the lower set of bulbs at the center are for, I'm
suspecting lows but again I'm not so sure. I hadn't seen the lower
bulbs on Friday so when I asked my mech about the extra wire he was
of the opinion that it might be something to do with a fail test system
that he has seen in the e-36 325's but since we hadn't seen the other
bulbs I didn't pursue it further. Thanks for your assistance and if you
do find more about it please let me know.

Mike Theuri
93 318i