Very Disappointed in BMW

I have been a loyal and enthusiastic BMW driver for about 15 years. I
presently have two BMWs.

I have had a problem with my 1997 528i for three years. The problem is an
interior odor and air quality problem. In short, it smells bad and it is
unpleasant to be in the car. It's aggravating to have an "Ultimate Driving
Machine" that you don't want to be in and are concerned about your health
when you are.

The dealer has tried a few things, but hasn't solved the problem and say he
doesn't know what to do next. The technical field rep hasn't been of any
help. He dismisses it by saying that it's not a product problem and hasn't
done a thing. Maybe it's not a product problem for him, but it's a product
problem for me!!

I've tried to contact BMW about the problem by letter, email, and other
means, but no one replies or even acknowledges my communications. I must
say - That's been very, very disappointing, considering all the advertising
and customer service claims BMW makes.  At the moment they seem to be
ignoring me. I haven't been one of those constant complainers. I think I've
been very civil and professional about the whole thing.

Questions:
1. Has anyone had any similar problems with a musty, moldy, dirty odor
particularly on hot summer days? If so, has a solution been found?
2. Does anyone have any contacts (addresses, phone numbers, etc.) at BMW
North America or BMW AG worldwide that might help me get in touch with a
real person with some authority to do something and who takes the BMW
customer service advertising claims seriously.

Unless I get some help soon, I fear there's a Lexus or Mercedes in my future.
Help, I don't want to do that!

Jim