Re: Accidents & Legal Stuff

Michael Ting Wrote:

>>"Let me start with what happened. She was in a car with her boyfriend. She
just bought the car from him, and she's handed the cash to him. However, the
title is still in his name."

It would depend on the law in your jurisdiction, but I would say that
ownership of the vehicle would be dependent on DELIVERY of title.  No
delivery, no transfer.

>>"Her boyfriend was driving the car when the accident happened. Their car
hit
a car in front of them, and that linked to another car. When the accident
happened, the boyfriend told the police that he had sold the car to her, and
she had already paid for the car."

Some boyfriend--  Seems like he hung her out to dry, like wet laundry....

>>"If the judge decided that it is not her fault (her b/f to pay damages),
what
should she do with the money that was meant for the car's payment?? (She
gave it to her b/f, but he is a jerk) I'm afraid that he will take the money
from her to pay for the damages, but he won't give her the title to the
car."

In all likelihood, his insurance will probably be the one who is ultimately
gonna pay.  Tell her to find a new car and a new boyfriend.

Drew