95 740i swerving when hard braking - why?

I've been noticing that when I come to a panic stop or a fast/hard stop at a
traffic light when I'm travelling fairly fast, my 95 740i doesn't stop
smoothly anymore but swerves a bit right and left and then stops - pretty
scary!  Any ideas before I call my shop, where they will most likely come up
with some wonderfully expensive fix, as usual!  I'd like to come in there
armed with some collective wisdom so I have some information in my defense.

Thanks in advance!  By the way, at 83,000 miles it seems that this car will
run forever!  I am so glad I got this 7 series instead of the blk/blk 97
528i the dealer tried to pawn off on me - the 528i with 44k miles was the
same price as the 95 740i with 61k miles when I bought it used 2 years ago
at Select Auto in Alexandria, Va ($32,500).  They drop in value fast,
though - I don't believe I could get more than $21,000 via a trade in at
this point... All in all, I'm very happy with this "older" 7 - it's a great
comfort car in our overpopulated area.

Steve Robinson
Silver Spring Md
95 740i