Re: Brake Job

Brett,

You didn't mention which car you have, so my comments may not apply...

I just performed a four corners brake job on my E34 525iT.  Four Brembo
rotors (from Bavarian Autosport), PBR Deluxe pads (Bavarian Autosport), and
a brake fluid flush.  You'll also need to replace the brake wear sensors
(left front and right rear).  Depending on the car, they may or may not be
the same.

I had never replaced brakes on this car, so it was a first time experiemce.
I had replaced brakes (and FRONT rotors) on my E36 M3 once (in June).

Total time for the 525iT was 4 1/2 hours.  Total time for the E36 M3 was
about three hours.

Both cars were very easy to work with.  No special tools are needed, but
make sure you have the correct sized sockets to remove the caliper mounting
brackets (16mm on the M3 front, 19mm on the 525iT front, 15mm (I believe) on
the 525iT rear.  I don't know about the M3 rear, since I didn't remove them.
  The M3 used different wear sensors on the front and rear.  The 525iT used
the same wear sensors front and rear.

To remove the calipers for pad replacement you'll need a hex driver. I don't
know the size...I bought a set of six metric hex drivers from Sears, and it
had one that fit.

If you buy the Bentley service manual for your car, you'll have a much
easier time.

The only tricky part was removing the rear rotors, since they have an
internal drum brake for the parking brake.  If you need to back off the
brake shoes, you need to rotate the rotor until you can see the adjusting
wheel through one of the lug bolt holes, and use a screwdriver to turn it.

- -rb