Oil Leak Driving Me CRAZY!!

List

I am leaking oil from my 1987 528e.  It seems to be running down the back of
the engine or somewhere near the inspection plate by on the tranny.  If I
drive on the freeway for 15 to 20 minutes and stop somewhere and get out you
can smell the oil burn of the exhaust.  On a recent road trip of about 350
miles we stopped and it looked like my BMW was on fire because of all the
smoke coming out from underneath the car.

I have been told it could be the heads, oil sending unit, or God forbid the
rear main.  I am tired of smelling burning oil, PLEASE HELP!!

Hopefully, someone with a possible similar experience might know something.

Thanks

Brett
bdurante@domain.elided