Re: CAI & Octane

William,

This is incorrect information.  The reprogramming that was recommended by
JimC deals with a lean condition that can occur at a certain RPM (somewhere
between 4000 and 5000 RPM, if I remember correctly).  It applies when using
the Eurosport/JimC CAI.

This software upgrade does nothing to change the factory settings of the
mass air sensor, which is a device that has fixed settings.  For a given
amount of air, it puts out a corresponding voltage (or current), which is
interpreted by the DME.  The software change that JimC incorporates with his
CAI system corrects the fuel map at those specific RPMs to solve the lean
condition.

Otherwise, putting a CAI on your car is independent from upgrading the
engine management software.

Regarding octane, BMW recommends 91 or higher octane on most models.  Since
the engine incorporates a knock sensor, the DME will retard spark timing if
knock is detected.  So yes, you can operate with lower octane, at the
expense of (possible) lower performance.  If the octane is TOO low (and
retarded timing can't compensate) then you run the risk of engine damage.
So, you can pay $2 less per tankful of gas now, or you can pay $$$ for an
engine repair later.  Is it worth the gamble?

When you upgrade software (JimC, Dinan, Autothority, etc), they re-map the
ignition curve to take full advantage of higher octane fuels, so you are
definitely required to run higher octane fuels.

For a picture of "real world gains" (with the JimC-designed products), see:

http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com/dynocharts/intake/

Some curves include software and intake mods, others include just intake
mods.

- -rb