CAI & Octane

I have been told that it's useless to get a CAI without having the OBD-II
reprogrammed.  Because no matter what type of filter you get, if the mass
air sensor has not been changed from its factory settings, the cars
performance will remain the same.

Also, using high-octane fuel without reprogramming the OBD-II.  No actual
performance gain, just "good for the engine."

So my question, should CAI and High Octane upgrades be performed only after
the OBD-II has been reprogrammed?  If not are there any real world gains?

Thanks for any and all input.

"GOD FIRST!"
'00 528i
http://www.geocities.com/emailmeman/home.html