<E34> Check Control Bites the Dust

I think the Check Control System in the wife's '89 535i (auto)
has finally gone belly up=2E  I suspect the mother board on the
instrument panel, but was hoping someone out there could
second guess me before I buy the wrong non-returnable part=2E

Back in '92, the check control display in the IP (i=2Ee=2E, parking
brake on, lights on, tail light out, etc=2E) got real wacky, sometimes
displaying in German, etc=2E  The dealer replaced part 62-11-1-390-082
under good will and all was well for a few years=2E  (I'm pretty sure this
was the mother board, now replaced by part # 62-11-8-364-749=2E
The car's build date was 9/88=2E  Bentley's speaks of a first generation IP, that=
 was replaced with a newer IP in 2/89 cars on=2E)

About 2 years ago, the odometer/trip odometer backlighting ceased functioning=2E=20=
A good rap on the dash would bring it back for a day or two, but our mechanic sai=
d this was not a simple bulb replacement=20=
and that
the best bet would be to find a good used IP to swap out=2E  He also
predicted that the check control function would someday fail=2E It failed on Frid=
ay=2E

We now get the warning chime, and then the display cycles through the entire list=
 of "bad stuff", i=2Ee=2E catalyst, brake lining, etc=2E  I popped the
control module out of the fuse box to stop the irritating chimes, and
now am faced with the following options:
1) Just leave the module out and give up on the warning features, free
2) Buy a rebuilt mother board (1 year warranty), part about $435
3) Buy a used complete IP (6 mos=2E warranty), part about $650

If any of you have been through this, please advise me=2E  Is the
mother board the problem?  Are there cheaper sources/options?
Thanks
Mike
Washington DC

This e-mail is sent by a law firm and contains information
that may be privileged and confidential=2E If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and notify us
immediately=2E