Re: Bilstein Warranty problems

Bob,

My suspension upgrades on my E36 covers most major parts.  However I only
mentioned the Eibach springs to him after he asked.  I didn't believe what
he told me about this simple upgrade.  I thought that the Bilstein Sport
shocks/struts were designed to compliment lowering springs.

However, Raul simply voided my warranty I'm off driving around with a
possibly busted shock.  Before he asked about the springs however, he asked
me send him the faulty unit.  This normaly is not a problem, but I don't
have an extra shock lying around.  In hearing my plight, he asked me why I
didn't borrow a shock from a friend (time out a second, forget going to your
neighbor and borrowing a cup of sugar, let's see if you have an extra shock
in that pantry of yours!).  Well, I'm the only person I know with an E36, so
his idea wouldn't work, so he tells me to go to the dealer and "request" a
loaner shock.  At this point I realized that it wasn't going to be easy.
Don't most companies just swap out the offending part and use a credit card
to hold the new one for security?   Well, Raul couldn't do this, he told me
he needed to "dyno" the shock, he also said that it would take at least 3
weeks.  What's the point of putting a warranty on these damn parts if you
can't use them under a reasonable circumstance?!

I now can remember a scene from the movie "Tommy Boy":
"If I take a sh*t in a box and slap a warranty on the side of it, I now have
a warrantied piece of sh*t."    -or it went some thing like that.

Thanks for your attention,
Ron
rhakim@domain.elided
BMWCCA #165142
'98 323is Silver/Silver
p.s.
sorry for the length, I'm just ticked at getting VOIDED.

A quick list of my suspension mods are:
Bilstein Sport Monotube struts /Front
Bilstein Sport shocks /Rear
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs