Re: my suspension rattle/Bilstein problem

Ron H. writes:

>Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:36:31 -0400
>From: "Ron H." <rhakim@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: my suspension rattle/Bilstein problem
>
>Ron,
>
>Thanks for the info about the noise from the rear of my car.  I haven't had
>the time to check out the brake pads yet as most people have mentioned.  I
>did notice that the noise does not disappear when I apply the brakes.
>
>I did have my dealer check out mounts and was told that they are fine.
>They firmly believe that the shock has gone bad.  In my conversation with
>Bilstein, I spoke to the warranty representative, a gentleman by the name
>of Raul, he states that any suspension mods will void my warranty.  The
>darn Bilsteins Sports themselves are a mod!  How can he validate this?  I
>have no idea, but his word is final and I'm just going to take my money to
>Koni or I'll just blow the money on coil-overs all around.

It sounds like the Bilstein guy didn't understand what you meant by a
modified suspension.  Bilstein Sport dampers are designed to be used with
shorter, stiffer springs.  Now, if you modifed the _Bilsteins_ by
disassembling them and cutting the bump stops (front dampers), that would
definitely void their warranty.  Also, using Bilstein Heavy Duty dampers
with shorter springs will also void the warranty if the dampers are damaged
because of bottoming out.

I had a Bilstein Sport rear shock that was leaking, dripping oil onto the
ground.  I called Bilstein, and they didn't have any replacements in stock,
but were ready to cover the warranty replacement.  I called around and
Korman had some, so I ordered a pair of replacements, and sent my failed
shock and the other rear shock to them, and they returned them to Bilstein
under warranty.  The car is equipped with Eibach Pro-Kit springs.  There was
no cost to me, other than the cost of shipping.

>How can I check the rear mounts for damage?  I'm not sure what I'm looking
>for.  The car has about 50,000 miles now and what ever I do is no longer
>limited by warranty.

I think the best way to check them is to remove them from the car.  I don't
think that they can be completely inspected without removing them.  As I
said previously, check out:

http://members.home.com/jsp98m3/

for info on what to look for, and:

http://www.jt-designs.com/

for a better-than-stock replacement.

>The brakes are EBC's Green Stuff (costly but highly recommended).  I've
>taken them out during auto-x's and have had NO signs of fade, they actually
>get better when they are hot.  They seem to be on pretty good, but I'll
>have to break out the 3 ton jack and have a better look.

Comparing autox and driving schools on a track, I can't imagine an M3 ever
having signs of brake fade on an autox.  If so, you've got other brake
problems.

- -rb