RE: M3 tire questions

Jaime Poris <jporis@domain.elided> wrote:

>    I have a few tire questions.  Well I've had my 99 M3 for
> about a year now. When I brought it in for the first oil change
> at 9000 miles, I asked them about the apparent uneven front tire
> wear (wearing more on the outside) and was told this was normal.
> I am now at 15,000 miles and it looks like the fronts (Dunlop
> 8080's)  need to be replaced.
> - -Does this sound like a normal tire wear pattern (I live in
> the Santa Cruz mountains, N. CA and do half of my driving on
> windy roads)?

It is a normal tire wear pattern. What's more, your rear tires should be
wearing a bit more on the inside. Which is why rotation the tires
front<->back will prolong the overall tire life.

> - -Should I just get the same tire again (I have no
> complaints about the performance)?

If you like it, why not. But don't forget that there is a world of other
(mostly much better, but some worse) tires out there. Take a look at
http://www.tirerack.com

> - -Any suggestions for replacements for the fronts and when I
> do the rears probably after 20,000 miles?  Should I eventually
> match all four tires if I make a change?

That would be a good idea since wearing different tires front and back with
different adhesion and hydroplaning characteristics can make wet driving (or
any driving at the limit of adhesion) very exciting...

> - -Is 15,000 about right for this tire (I used to get 19,000
> miles on fronts and rears in my '94 corvette with the goodyear
> or firestone version of the standard, directional tire)?

I will pass on that one since I never had 8080's.
For MXX3's, 15-20K miles would be considered good.
My rear MXX3's are wearing out faster then the fronts.
Perhaps you are underutilizing your "lets even out the tire wear" (gas)
pedal?
;-)

alex f