RE: E36 Steering Wheel Shimmy

Roger Langille <RBLANGILLE@domain.elided> wrote:

> I just replaced the lower control arms and the bushing at the
> rear of each.
>
> Prior to this replacement, there was noticeable shimmy at
> lower speeds, particulary when the front end was light.
>
> The steering wheel shimmy now occurs only under light
> braking, at most speeds. There is no pulsing in the pedal to
> suggest warped rotors (replaced 6 months ago). What's the next
> step in tracking down the culprit?

Roger,
The brake pedal does not need to pulsate for rotors to be warped. Also brake
warpage is not function of time they've been in service, rather the type of
service. Sometimes it only shows up after rotors warm up, sometimes you will
feel it right away.
Steering wheel shimmy under light braking is the classic symptom of lightly
warped front rotors.
Did you replace the brake pads with the rotors? Did you bed them in?
Mild wheel vibration at narrow speed bands and under braking might also be
caused by unbalanced wheels, so rule that one out before looking further at
the rotors.

alex f