ball-joint removal.... secret from the grave

Gentlemen
  The use of a "PICKLE-fork" will destroy ball-joints, so don't ever use a
pickle-fork when you want to re-use the ball-joints. Use a "Puller" type
tool.
  **trade-secret**  When I want to re-use a tie-rod ball-joint, after
removing the cotter pin and removing the castle-nut, I flip it over and
screw it on until it's just flush with the top of the ball-joint stud.
  Then using the "BMW" ball-joint remover, I crack the joint loose.  Once
cracked loose, I remove the nut and the ball-joint.
  The reason I place the nut over the top of the stud is to proctect the
stud from the mandral of the removal tool, which may stray off center
damaging the threaded area.  ALSO and this is really important, the
ball-joint stud is very soft, and they've been known to mush outward under
the force of the removal tool.  What good does it do to save the
ball-joint, but not be able to get the nut back on it.
  The nut firms up the side of the stud.  The reason I flip the nut over is
that the castle-portion of the nut isn't strong enough to protect the stud.

 Dan Patzer the CyberWrench from BIMMERS ONLY Seattle's exclusive BMW hobby
shop
Providing O.E.M. parts, Independent service & Instruction since 1964
 12724  Marine Drive,  Marysville, Wa. 98271
72' tii touring   K1200LT   85' 732i   R850R
http://www.nwlink.com/~bmrfamly/   425-259-3601