<E28> Timing Chain Replacement

I have a 1987 535is which is running better than ever.  Now with 132,000
miles I am wondering if anyone has any opinion on when to change the timing
chain.  I very familiar with rubber timing belts and the replacement
intervals for them, but the only experience I have had with a timing chain
on an overhead cam engine was a 1968 Mercedes.  I changed it at about
125,000 miles because the timing marks on the crank and camshaft didn't line
up any more.  The timing gears were also changed.

Any experience or recommended intervals would be appreciated from you BMW
digesters.

Georg
tfam@domain.elided
87 535is