Sythetics?

I just purchased a 96 328is.  I won't go on and on about it don't worrry, but
I do have a few questions.  I've read a lot about sythetics and how they work
much better and last longer than regular old oil.  So.... I was thinking
about switching over to synthetic oil in the motor, transmission, and
differential.  I know of Mobil 1 and Red Line, is there anyone else I should
consider?  Which is the best?  Any where else I should consider putting
synthetics?  Where's the cheapest or best place to buy the oil?  Any
recommendations, thoughts, rants, raves, scoffs, whatever.... any info you
have on synthetics would be great.  A private email would be best, wouldn't
want to clog up the list now would we.

Thanks
Matt Smith
'96 328is