FW: e46 m3 convertible

- -----Original Message-----
From: JJINHART@domain.elided [mailto:JJINHART@domain.elided]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 9:33 AM
To: riqbal@domain.elided
Subject: RE: e46 m3 convertible

   Nothing is final with BMWNA so this is sheer speculation encouraged
by dealers...on the hardtop, one dealer said the new M will be very
little more than the previous one in cost, as the E46 323 convertible
was relative to 99 E36 323 convertible.  A more definitive quote is in
the current Roundel mag, where the range is high 40s, compared to low
mid 40s for the previous M.
      At any rate, the convertible seems quite likely to tip the scales
at over 50 at least, though the excuse is "it is so well equipped, there
isn't much to add".  Perhaps, but I expect a car in that range to have
power top, xenon and top line stereo, if not navagation Cd for that
money.  Clearly, the pricing is bound to closely mirror Euro pricing,
less about 10%, if what BMWNA said about the US hardtop can be linked to
the convertible M's.
      I haven't a clue about a hard folding top BMW, though one might
suspect that is the next Z4?  It could be a level above the M3, but I
can draw an inference that whatever it is, it is being designed to
compete against Lexus' four place convertible replacement for SC400.  I
find it hard to believe that they would use the 3 series platform for
this, since it is already suffering a weight penalty.  Then again, it
could be all-alluminum.  In any case, the Lexus will be kicking the shit
out of the Mercedes SL at around 60 grand, and probably doing the same
to the 3 and 8 series, as the GS400 has done against 533/540 and less
effectively to the E320.
     In short, yes, expect a fully equipped M3 convertible to stop short
of 58grand (dealer greed not included/holdbacks, etc).
    I am after an m3 convert (E36) because I passed one up last fall
that was perfect at 37,899..me wife said our daughter's college
education expenses were more important.  They are..but I am so pissed at
my E36 328i's apparent camber happyhood (it rides the road crown like a
Range Rover, with heavy counter steer needed against braking force or
else going way off course like a British drift and correct, at best,
rather than a German point and shoot.  The dealer tells me the sport
pack exacerbates the wander in camber sensitivity...I don't know if
that's bullshit, but I do know the M convertible was on rails, not a
hovercraft!
By the way, would you post this on the digest, so as to get further
input, if not flaming!
Cheers, John