E28 OBC backlight replacement

I hope this isn't overly redundant, you all may have discussed this and
I had just scrolled past because it wasn't issue of the day for my car.
But just in case it saves anyone a few minutes:

The backlight on my "on-board computer" (ie the time of day, avg mpg,
temp, etc.) readout  went out again on my E28 5er.  I couldn't remember
exactly how to get at this lamp holder circuit board assembly from the
last time this happened, so I went in blindly again.  But to keep it
short here are the steps.

1.  Remove the two screws holding the top edge of the main instrument
cluster to the underside of the dash lip.  No need to remove steering
wheel.

2. Carefully pry down on the instrument flange the screws came out of to
fold the cluster down.  Don't worry there is nothing else holding it in
except wire bundle tension.  Pull the cluster toward you and to your
left.

3.  With good light you will now see that two screws fasten the left
edge of the pod with the OBC to a steel subframe.  Remove these (with a
magnetized phillips) and pull the pod out a bit.

4.  You now need to remove the hazard flasher switch and rear defoger
switch.  To do this I recommend you pull out the center fresh air
grill.  It is not fastened, just friction fit, so carefully start prying
one edge, and work it out straight back. Then you can push out the two
switches part way from the back.  Use a flat blade screwdriver to start
the switch body off of the wire harness connector (the back 1/2 inch of
the switch) These are not "clipped" to the switch, just the male/female
spade terminal friction.

5. with the 2 switches out, you will have good access to look on the
right side of the OBC for the end of the white plastic bulb holder. It
has a lamp symbol and the words "ziehen pull".

6. Prior to pulling, remove the screw next to it, allowing you to pull
the back part of the OBC clear of the front trim flange. You will now be
able to pull the holder staight out sideways with a pair of needle nose
pliers.  You could loosen the screw on the left side also, but mine
would not turn, so I left it.

7. Slide in the new lamp holder and reverse the process.

8. Now since you paid about $30 bucks for this little sucker, which is
ridiculous, take the old one to Radio Shack and show them the bulbs, so
you can replace the burnt out ones and be ready for the next go round in
a couple of years.  All it will take is a small soldering iron, and a
bit of dexterity.

Steve Poland
'88 535is