Re: cold starting problem

Peter,

You might have a firmware problem.

You don't mention what kind of car you have, but I had the same
problem with my then new 1999 M3C last winter.  I thought it was weird
and then I read in Roundel that there was a service bulletin that
prescribed a computer update.  I had it done at the dealer and the
problem went away.  What troubled me about the whole thing was that my
car's build date was after the date of the service bulletin.  So BMW
is releasing computers that it knows do not have the latest patch
level.

- -Alan

> Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:15:54 -0500
> From: "Peter Curtin (EUD)" <EUDPECU@domain.elided>
> Subject: cold starting problem
>
> This is a weird one.  It only happens when the car is cold (ie not started
> for 2-3 hours) and it only lasts about 10-15 seconds.  The car starts fine,
> but if I touch the gas, it stumbles and hesitates.  I have recently changed
> all the temperature sensors except the ambient air temperature sensor.  The
> 02 sensor is also new and I changed the rotor and distributor cap.  I also
> changed the motronic unit to fix another problem and then this problem
> popped up...but I find it hard to believe that the motronic is the
> problem...i suspect some sort of input sensor....ideas??
>
> Peter Curtin
> VP Product Management
> DNIP, Network IP Access
> Wk: 805-961-0267
> Fax: 805-961-1520
> Mb: 805 886-7461

Alan Ma Wong, Senior Consulting Geophysicist
alan.wong@domain.elided

PGS Data Management
10550 Richmond Avenue, Suite 240
Houston, Texas  77042                            Direct:  713-706-0531
Tel:  713-780-7818                               Home:    713-974-2263
Fax:  713-781-6093                               Mobile:  281-468-7646