RE: Help, Shock Replacement E30

RP <f1_rennsport@domain.elided> asks:

> I have been told that the rear shock on my '90 325is
> have weakened (no leaks, though) and need replacing.
> This of course is not under Bilstein warranty since
> they are not leaking.

Bilstein will rebuild your shocks for the cost of shipping (if I remember
right - lifetime warranty). I don't think the shocks need to leak to
qualify, but call Bilstein to be 100% sure about this. This only applies if
you bought your shocks from Bilstein (does not apply to factory installed
Bilsteins).
You car will be un-drivable without the shocks, but you already know that.

> Anyway, I would like to replace
> both with same (Bilstein Sports) and have been told
> that this is an easy do-it-yourself job.

I am assuming that you already have Bilstein Sports on all four corners. In
which case replacing two of them is perfectly fine.
If, however, you have factory shocks with factory springs right now, a).
Bilstein Sports are too short for factory shocks, go with Bilstein HDs; b).
your car will be very nervous with two Bilstein Sports and two factory
soft-specials up front - not a good thing.

> Bolts on
> top, bolts on bottom, remove, replace, tighten, done.

Very true.
The most difficult and time consuming part is removing the trunk side lining
to get to the rear shock mounts (BTW, you also want to drop on new rear
shock mounts - $15/piece).

> I do not have a schematic of the rear shock assembly
> and would like to know if this is really the case.

It is.
Get Bentley E30 manual to see for yourself.

good luck,
alex f