<E36> Check Engine Light @ 5500+rpm

I have a 93 318i 130K and I have recently noticed that on acceleration
with the engine rpm at about 5500 rpm or so the check engine
light will flash interminently. This seems to be occuring before the
red line mark and I only noticed it occuring recently. Car runs fine,
but I am still puzzled as to what could be causing the light to flash.
The car runs fine and I've so far noticed this in 2nd and 3rd gears.
All replies will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Mike Theuri
93 318i