Re: Re: Air Filters

Rob,

You're absolutely right - K&N and simular's only raises the HP's by 0-2 HP's
on a normally aspirated engine - however, on turbocharged or supercharged
engines, the increase is somewhat higher. On my M42 supercharged engine, the
increase was approx. 8-10 HP's in the high rev. area, measured on a
dynometer!
Your thougths about the effiency of the filtering is questionable, I find it
very hard to beleave that the filter effiency on the K&N is poorer than that
of the original! So, that should *not* be the reason for not installing the
filter... Another more important issue, is the intake air temperature. If
you equip your engine with the cone-type K&N, you should do something to
isolate it from the rest of engine compartment.
I guess the general thing with the 'performance' air filters is that, alone
they don't make a rocket out of your car, but combining them with other
things, such as performance exhaust, chip, manifold, superchargers,
turbocharges etc. will add up to some measureble gain in performance.

Regards,
Thomas Petersen,
'92 318iS Coupe - Supercharged to 205HP (with K&N :-))