Re: Air Filters

Paliava,

   Beware the savvy marketing of aftermarket air filter manufacturers...  At
the risk of opening a "digestive can of worms" here, let's just say that
there are many halfway respectable dyno comparisons showing negligible (0-2
hp) increases that accompany the use of filters such as the K&N...  The stock
airbox on your M30 is VERY nonrestrictive, and provides a valuable service
that some of the aftermarket filters seem to overlook - it actually keeps
foreign particulate from entering the intake.  To illustrate;  I let my last
paper filter go for 24k miles.  The incoming air side of the filter and
airbox were quite nasty, caked with a layer of fine silts and dust... (There
is an obvious need for filtration of incoming air.)  The intake side of the
filter and airbox were perfectly spotless.  Would a K&N have filtered the air
the same?  Questionable...  Is that chance worth 0-2 hp?  Not for me.  Keep
in mind that as an oiled foam filter gets caked with filth, restriction
drastically increases.  I'd put my money elsewhere!

Rob Workman
'85 535i (Holga)

<< Hello,

 I would like to install an air filter on my 635CSi '85. What
 cuold you suggest ?
 I was thinking about K&N, but later I found out that APEX
 makes better performance. But the info I could find about
 APEX was very poor. Maybe anyone knows where it's possible
 to find more info about APEX air intakes ?

 paliava
 BMW 635CSi '85
 Lithuania >>