1995 540 Alarm system problem...

I have had a problems similar to the one that Raj recently described with my
95' 540i.

On two occassions my key transmitter has failed to disarm the alarm systsm.
On both occassions I opened the door with the key setting off the alarm and
then I attempted to start the car with the alarm sounding.  After the failed
attempt to start the car I operated the transmitter again and the alarm shut
down and the syatem disarmed and was back to normal. Lucky I guess.  I now
wait till the next time the key transmitter fails, and hope that I am not
stranded.

I have talked with BMW at length (My dealer and the BMW ass.), and am told
the only solution is a reprogramming of the computer so tha the door locks
will disarm the alarm at a cost to me of $50.   They say ther is no emergency
procedure toi disarm the alarm if the key transmitter fails.  A faulty design
I say.  The problem is unique to the 95  cars and was corrected in 1996.

How do you disarm the alarm system if the key transmitter fails?  There has
to be a solution short of having the car towed to BMW.  What do they do to
disarm the alarm?

Shouldn't BMW pay for the cost of the programming change if I have them
modify the software so that the drivers door will disarm the alarm rather
than a cost of $50 to me?  This is a design fault as evidenced by their
recommended softwar change and the design changes for the following model
year.

Has anyone got a solution or thoughts on this problem?

Ricardo Gonzales
Porsche1VW@domain.elided