Belt changes

I've got an AC pulley that is making some bad noises and was going to replace it
with the belts as long as I was there.  After studying the engine for a while it
appears the best way to approach changing the belts and pulley would be from
under the engine compartment??????  Will this approach work or would I be better
off removing some of the excess material from the top of the engine and going
down?  Surely I can't do the changes without removing everything from the top can
I?  Anyone with some words of advice?  Also there is no reason not to use the
frame to connect jacks to instead of using BMW's special locations is there?
Thanks.
(96 328iS)