Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 20:10:01 -0400
From: dstevenson <dstevenson@domain.elided>
Subject: [uuc] <E30> AC info needed.

Hello All
I am trying to revive the Air Conditioner (AC) in my 87 325IS. It has never
worked since I have had the car and I would like to get it at least to a
point where all the Vital signs are there and I can take it in to a shop for
recharge etc.
This is what I know about this thing.
Compressor belt is new, the pulley moves and all the running gear seems
fine.
Auxiliary cooling fan was seized up. I fixed that by drilling a few smallish
holes in the hub area of the fan and anointing it with WD40/PB blaster , got
that freed up (Thanks to Christopher  P. from Ottawa for that).
AC will not work unless the aux cooling  fan is functional (right?).
 When I turn on the AC nothing ever happens, I think I am supposed to hear
this thing kick in right?
Went to the Bentley for some electrical tests. I unsnapped the harness that
comes from the Compressor up to the siteglass on the dryer unit just behind
the passenger headlight. I could not get 12V there with the ignition on and
the AC switch turned on. Did I miss something?
They refer me to the diode that is screwed onto the compressor body. Look
for a failed (open diode) with the Ohmmeter). I got this thing unscrewed but
I was fumbling with the Ohmmeter not being sure if I tested it the Diode
properly. I connected the meter to the only lead on that little white
ceramic cube and then to a wire on the other side of the compressor
connected to what almost looked like an alternator carbon brush. Correct?
I would appreciate a little guidance here from those of you that have done
this fix.
Thanks
Don Stevenson/BMWCCA Boston Chapter
1988 325IS, (too much to list), should have stayed the street car. (Sharked)
1987 325IS, project, should have been the track car. (Sharked)
1988 Volvo 240 Wagon 5 Speed. (Green Wheels)
   ______
 (oo=00=oo)

- ---
Rodney Moore