More Bang for the Buck

>Regarding lightened flywheels, I'd appreciate it if anyone reading this
post
>who has one would give me their comments.  This modification makes
intuitive
>sense to me, but I'm still worried about idle characteristics

I got my l/w flywheel from Active Autowerkes after researching the matter.
Most of the l/w weighed in at 8-9 lbs and did have a the rattle at idle. AA
l/w wheel weighed in at 12 lbs and was marketed as eliminating most of the
rattle. I cannot detect any rattle at idle on my '92 325i. It was also
200-250.00 cheaper than others. Much quicker throttle response off line.
Quicker off line response and the car feels lighter. You will get to redline
a lot sooner than before so watch your tach. A very good upgrade especially
if you need to replace the clutch anyway. Can be an expensive proposition
with labor if you are only doing the flywheel.

>The higher gear ratio will help the car launch more quickly and
>accelerate more quickly in the low rpm ranges

Believe me when I say that the acceleration is much quicker across the rpm
range and in every gear. What surprised me more was that at highway speeds
say 75-80 mph, push on the throttle and the car will propel you down the
road very quickly(it will haul arss). As an upgrade nothing will give you
quicker acceleration except turbo/supercharger.

Now as to aftermarket exhausts, in addition to that good sound, some of the
better ones do offer much lighter weight savings and are free flowing.
Although the M3 exhaust is much better than the restricted 325i, its very
heavy and less restricted but not as free flowing as the better aftermarket
ones. Weight savings and free flowing is a good thing for performance. To
improve further on weight savings, remove your spare tire and no more than a
half tank of gas will save you almost a 100 lbs!
Henry
'92 325i w/ 3:46 differential, l/w flyweel, ram air intake, aa chip and
borla