1992 318i rev limiter?

My mother in law's car is in the shop.  We think it sucked in water
during a bad storm and bent some valves, and they are trying to get
insurance to cover it.

Insurance is saying she must have intentionally overrevved the engine by
downshifting from 5th to 2nd or something, and are questioning whether
she knows how to drive a stick...

My first comment was that every german car I've ever owned (Audi & VW)
has a rev limiter builtin.  I know that newer BMWs have a top speed
limiter as well.

What's the best way to prove that a 1992 318i 5 speed cannot be pushed
past redline?
The dealer has been no help.

While I'm on the subject, I pointed out to her that an option might be
to drop a 325i engine into the car, since I think the 6 is much more
abundant than the 4, and the estimate on the bare head alone for the
4cyl is $1800.  Is this a viable option?  I'm sure there are some
changes besides the engine, FI management and parts of the harness, but
odds are this is not too hard.
Now that I think of it, I remember reading about a 318ti somewhere that
got a 328i engine.

Thanks.

| Dan |
- --
Dan Simoes
Director of IT				http://www.iclick.com
iClick, Inc.				email:dans@domain.elided
120 Bloomingdale Road			voice:914-872-8015
White Plains, NY 10605			fax:914-872-8100