RE: Which 5 Series to buy???

At 01:28 PM 5/16/00 -0400, Clyde Warner <cwiii1@domain.elided> wrote:
>I need advice on purchasing a used 5 Series in the year range of 89-92.
>Can anyone tell of any particular items to watch-out for when buying this
>Model/Year BMW.
>
>I'm not yet sure which Model I'd prefer but do know I want to get the most
>performance, reliability for the Model as well as resale value.
>
>Thanks in advance for all the feedback,

The four model years you mention are all E34, which means that the body &
interior will be very, very similar for the years you mention.  With each
newer year, a few more gadgets appear, such as microfilter for the cabin
air, etc.

First choice:  535i (M30 "big six" 89-92, 205HP? does not require premium fuel)
Second choice:  525i, '91 or '92 (M50 engine; four valve, 189 HP)
Third choice:  525i, '89 or '90 (M20 engine, 2 valve, 168 HP)

Of these, the second choice (which I have) will likely be the lowest
maintenance, since the valves are self adjusting, there is no distributor
cap/rotor or spark wires (one coil per plug), and you will get a timing
chain instead of a belt.

Be careful with '91 model year 525i, since I have heard anecdotal evidence
that the early models in that year did not necessarily have the newer
engine, which is much more desirable.

Good luck!

- -Knute